Favorite Denier

• What is your favorite denier when it comes to pantyhose?  Do you like all thicknesses or is there a specific range you prefer?  And why do you like a specific denier?  

• @SheerMark In the summer and more comfortable weather, my default denier is 15.  15 strikes a nice balance between sheerness, lightweight on the legs, durability and visual aesthetics.  When it becomes super hot or we get a day or 2 of sweltering heat, my go-to is 8 or 10 denier. 

But by the time fall rolls around I'm back in mostly 20 denier styles and richer shades.  Winter doesn't see me increase the denier from there, though.  I don't like anything heavier than 20 because I like the trade off of sheerness against their thermal value on the legs.  Not a fan of anything opaque or even semi opaque such as products in the 30-40 range.  I don't wear tights at all.  If it's that cold out that I might need 100 denier, I forego skirts and dresses entirely and wear 20 denier pantyhose under leggings or skinny jeans with tall boots to stay warm.

So, 15 is my go-to throughout most of the year unless temperatures demand other options.

FWIW, these are Oroblu Vanite 15s

• I like the 30 denier styles. So when I want a smooth polished look I usually go for the 30's. 

• And when I want some shine I go for the 15's. 

• When I was younger I don't think I realized pantyhose came in different deniers, I just thought there were pantyhose and if they were thicker they were tights.  In the early days of shopping and trying pantyhose I didn't even pay attention to denier, I was just excited to have a pair and color was most important.  I started noticing the number designation for denier on the packages and began to equate that with thickness.  Most hosiery in stores seemed to start at 20 denier and go higher.  I wasn't particular about denier necessarily, I just thought if you can see skin underneath the hosiery it looked wonderful.  I remember occasionally seeing women wear sheer support hosiery when walking for exercise.  Their legs in dark suntan hose looked great from toes to waist, I loved the look and could only imagine what it would feel like to wear them myself.          

I would say I like a full range of deniers.  I noticed Carrie and PJ like 15 denier and Carrie even goes down to 8-10 denier.  I was wondering if either of you get worried about damaging the material when it gets this thin?  I've always been a little worried about damaging pantyhose the thinner they get, plus sometimes with thin hosiery you can notice defects in the material that stand out.  I noticed the lightweight comment.  Carrie do you mean the lower the denier of the hosiery gives a more gentle touch and less hugging feeling on your legs?  I've noticed low denier hosiery tends to have a soft, delicate feeling, is this the appeal?  I guess the one thing when wearing low denier pantyhose is to make sure your legs look good since coverage is so minimal.

• I remember attending a wedding over 30 years ago when one of the guests, a 25-year-old, was wearing the most beautiful sheer black pantyhose. I don't know what denier they were, but they are embossed in my mind in terms of the "perfect set of legs" ever!

• @SheerMark I'm extra careful when putting on or taking off anything in the 8-10 denier range.  Occasionally, I'll use gloves when getting dressed initially, if I'm feeling a bit paranoid about running them before I can even wear them once.  But, although I have reasonably long nails, I go for manicures regularly and my nails are kept very smooth and filed when I notice a rough spot that might catch and ruin my hosiery.  I wear some form of sheers every single day, so I maintain my nails on my hands as well as look after my toes with the same pedicure regimen.  I think that's a basic requirement for wearing sheer hosiery, even if it's as heavy as 20 denier.  
    Once I have them on (8 or 10 denier) I don't actually conduct myself any differently than if I were wearing my usual 15s.  But there is a noticeable sheerness and near weightlessness to certain brands and styles in that lower denier range.  Some have more resilience than others, and one can feel the gentle tautness on the leg at times.  Others are barely noticeable and one actually needs to touch them to know they're on.  That feeling is magical, particularly when you're fresh out of the shower with closely shaven legs and in a gorgeous pair of stilettos that set off ones legs exquisitely (as most of my heels do)
    Not all lower denier hosiery translates into a more gentle touch or smoothness.  Sometimes the more sheer styles can almost feel sticky, possibly due to the increase in lycra/spandex content.  The higher the nylon content, the more slick or slippery my legs feel.  When I wear stockings that are 100% nylon and step out of my heels at the end of the night, I need to pay a little more attention when walking across my ceramic tiled kitchen floor!  Nylons are deadly slippery when compared to blended material hosiery consisting of nylon/lycra or spandex.  The blended hosiery will fit better and have a lot more give but that comes at the cost of sheerness, too.  20 denier 100% nylon stockings are much more sheer looking than pantyhose of a nylon/lycra blend in the same 20 denier, in my experience.
    I've been pleasantly surprised with just how robust some extremely sheer pantyhose can actually be.  I've often been afraid to pull a little too hard when working them up my legs and over my butt to my hips, and yet good quality low denier pantyhose is quite giving and not as delicate as one might imagine.  That's not to say that one can treat them like 20-30 denier hosiery, but some are surprisingly stronger than they feel in the hand right out of the packaging.  In terms of appeal, I think it's 2 fold, for me.  I love the look of an almost bare leg with a beautiful hue of slight colouring enveloping it, as well as the sensation of something barely detectable, and nearly weighless on my summer tanned skin.  Keeps em all guessing if my legs truly are naturally that perfect and flawless in appearance.  😋

• I am both a 15 and 20 denier fan.  I love Filodoro 15 denier, durable and feel great.  I moved to Silks 20 denier because the Bay stopped carrying Filodoro but now I found Shapings so looking forward to placing my first order.

I plan on ordering CDR and Platino hosery, any suggestions are welcomed.

I wear them daily during the colder weather.....I should have started saying I crossdress and I wear pantyhose to bed every night along with my nightie.

Cheers, Jenny